Tuesday, February 5, 2013
¼ cup flour,
1½ cup sugar,
1/3 cup ghee,
½ teaspoon saffron,
1 tablespoon rose water,
2 teaspoons almonds,
2 teaspoons pistachios,
Red, yellow, orange or green food colour.Method:
· Combine the cornstarch and flour and soak in 2 cups of water overnight. Decant the water, add another 2 cups of water stir and leave to rest for 3 hours. Again decant water and add 2 more cups of water and set aside. After 1 hour discard half of the surface water. Stir thoroughly. Add food color as you desire.
· Make syrup adding 1 cup of water to the sugar in a saucepan with handle. Bring to a boil. Stir in the cornstarch mixture very slowly over low heat. Add the saffron.
· Keep on stirring over moderate heat, when it stars to thicken add the ghee, 2 to 3 spoons at a time. Add rose water. Stir constantly until very thick. Remove from the fire.
· Sprinkle the almonds and pistachios onto a greased square shaped dish. Transfer the haluwa to the dish. Spread 2.5 cm (1”) thick. Let to cool. Cut into square or diamond shapes.
· After removing from heat you have to transfer the haluwa as quickly as possible, otherwise it will not spread nicely. So make the dish ready before cooking.
Serve as dessert. 4 servings.
February 5, 2013
4 cups sugar,
1 liter full cream milk,
½ cup ghee,
4 sticks 2.5 cm piece cinnamon,
Raisins, pistachios, almonds.
1. Wash, peel and shred (cut into thin julliene strips with a julliene peeler) the carrots finely. Melt ghee in a non-stick frying pan and fry the carrot for 1 minute.
2. Boil half of the ml kina saucepan. Add the carrot and bring to boil, stir. Simmer until thick. Add sugar ¼ cups at a time. Boil rest of the milk until reduced to half in volume. Add the carrot. Simmer for a few minutes. Add the raisins.
3. Melt the ghee in a saucepan. Put in the carrot and sinnamon. Stir and fry for about 3 minutes or until little sticky. Transfer to dessert bowl.Yields 12 servings.
Sunday, January 27, 2013
January 27, 2013
Rice Molasses Pudding
Khir is a type of cooking recipe. Everybody likes is cooking recipe. I am also very much fond of this recipe. Rice and molasses are found in the south Asia. So this cooking recipe is available specially in the winter season. It is very easy to cook this recipe. The method of preparation is given below;
1 litre (4½ cups) milk,
1/3 cup pullao rice,
225 gm ( 8 oz) molasses, (patali gur).
· Rinse the rice and drain the water. Soak in half cup of fresh water for 30 minutes. On a breadboard press the rice with a rolling pin to make it half broken.
· Place the rice and the milk in a pan, mix well, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for about one hour stirring occasionally. Add ¼ cup of molasses at a time, stir till molasses dissolve and blend well. Remove from heat.
· Pour in a serving bowl or in individual dessert bowls. Let to cool uncovered. When completely cool, cover the bowl and keep in the refrigerator.
Serve as a dessert during breakfast. Yields 6 – 8 servings.
Thursday, January 24, 2013
January 24, 2013
Sweet Rice with Pineapple
¾ cup chopped pineapple,
2 sticks 2.5 cm piece cinnamon,
½ cup ghee,
3 ½ cups sugar,
2 tablespoons raisins,
1 tablespoon shredded pistachios,
1 tablespoon shredded almonds,
Tablespoons grated mawa,
½ teaspoon saffron,
Egg yellow food color.
Boil 7 cups of water adding food color (light color is desirable). Rinse the rice, add to the boiling water and stir. After 15 – 18 minutes when rice is cooked, pour in coriander to discard gruel. Spread to cool.
If possible select a fresh pineapple. Cut the pineapple lengthwise and core with a fork. In case of canned pineapple chop it finely.
In a saucepan place the sugar mixed with ¼ cup of water. Add the cardamoms, cinnamon and ghee. Cook over a moderate heat stirring constantly. When sugar melts add the pineapple. Cook for 5 minutes. Add the rice and saffron and stir. Cook for five minutes and add the raisins. Keep covered over a very low heat for 8 – 10 minutes or spread rice on an oven tray. Put in the hot oven 1800C (3500F) for 20 – 30 minutes.
Remove the tray from the oven and allow to cool. Serve in a dish. While serving, fluff up the sweet rice kernels with a fork. Garnish with raisins, pistachios, almonds and mawa.
Serve for dessert or with or tea or coffee. Yields 16 – 20 servings.